Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ahoy smooth rockers

It occurred to me last night, as I listened, really listened to Toto's 'Rosanna' at last nights SmartAss (We did a Yacht Rock theme for a couple rounds last night), that they really do create some magic.

Now, now, hear me out because I can FEEL your eyes roll.

It's not even about hearing the music, it's about watching a crowd of people react to a bonifide hit. 'Rosanna' WAS a hit, theres no doubt, I don't even know the chart position it reached (look it up, key-junkies), but the look on some of the faces last night as they slid into keyboard and guitar solo's was bliss!

BLISS, I saw it! I know bliss when I see it.

So, you can keep your band-du-jour (who is it this week? Interpol's coming out with a new one soon...The Horrors? Eeeesh, apt name, BUT, nice boys, nothing personal guys!) but I'll take a good guilty pleasure pop song anyday. And really, if you dig it, is it fair to claim guilt? Fuck your built-in-NYC-Bedford Ave-for the lova God-why-did-the-trucker-hat-have-to-go hipster sensibilities. You just keep bobing your head to 'Rosanna' and enjoy. Forget about the fact that these guys would have NEVER gotten signed in todays music biz. Just keep in mind it was written about a very pretty girl, heart-felt, and got to the top 10 and you like it. Really, thats all that matters.

OH, almost forgot, we want to thank the Maack family who came in all the way from ICELAND, (not for us; for Karoke Killed The Cat) but had a good time with us as well. Welcome to America, Icelanders!

Here's last nights winners:

1ST ROUND: Our trivia Lancelots, The Cherry Flavored Schmoo's

2ND ROUND: TIE between The Unholy Trinity and The Schmoo's

3RD: Again with The Schmoo's...

My friend Beth wanted me to post the yacht rock setlist from last night, it was:

I'm Alright (Theme from Caddyshack)
Hold the Line Toto
Life In the Fast Lane Eagles
Ride Like the Wind Christopher Cross
Baker Street Gerry Rafferty
Rosanna Toto
Angry Eyes Loggins & Messina
Don't Fight It Kenny Loggins (w/ Steve FUCKING Perry!! DLed it NOW!!)
Any Way You Want It Journey
Top Jimmy Van Halen
FM Steely Dan
Carry On Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Private Eyes Daryl Hall & John Oates

Put THAT in yer book, Sarah.


Hey, The National are out on the road, if you are reading this from a city they will be frequenting, do yourself a favor and go see them.



Me (walking into the comedy show last night): "Hey man, ..Dude, is that Louis CK up there??"

Dimitri Martin: "Yeah,....."

Me: ".......(to myself) "Shit,...Thats Dimitri Martin..I just called him "Dude".."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the controversy continues.

In Alice Coopers own words:

We played the Toronto Peace Festival with John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and the Doors. While we were on, somebody from the audience threw a chicken on stage. I'm from Detroit, I'm not a farm kid. I figured a chicken had wings, it'll fly away. So I took the chicken and threw it and it didn't fly. It went into the audience. Blood everywhere. The next day, everybody's reading, "Alice Cooper rips chicken's head off, drinks blood." Zappa called me. He said, "Whatever you did, keep doing it." To this day, wherever I'm booked the ASPCA is usually there, too.

Smartass said...

Ahh Alice,..without whom we'd never have Ozzy or Maryln OR Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P.

A terribly underrated shock rocker.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel your Toto. Rosanna is the best tune ever. Especially if you are rollerskating. I had the good fortune to visit and hang out at what was once Jeff Pocaro's house in LA...actually the one he supposedly died in after a terrible drug/fumigation incident. Seriously!
He had a great pool, I'll say that.

Toto. Kick ass.

Anonymous said...

Van Halen is sooo not yacht rock, get it together Tood

Smartass said...

Van Halen so IS yacht rock. Anyone produced by Ted Templeman is yacht rock. Have you even watched the show??

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I guess since Templeman produced Aerosmith at one time that makes them yacht rock too? That would make the Bullet Boys yacht rock aswell.

Smartass said...

Again, I suggest you watch the Van Halen episode, as well as the Michael Jackson one, to understand. All will be revealed. It will explain WHY Aerosmith and the Bullet Boys are NOT yacht rock, and why Van Halen are.

And don't do so much 'If/then' thinking.

Anonymous said...

ACTUALLY...

Van Halen is NOT yacht rock. In the series Ted Templeman broke into Koko's recording studio to record Van Halen despite the fact that the studio was only for smooth music. David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen had put a curse on Templeman to force him to record there record.

Also, try not to loose the Unholy Trinity's answer sheet next week.