Tuesday, September 18, 2007

If theres a hipster heaven, they're going to have a hell of a band OR My night in hell.

So, I went to see Interpol Friday night at Madison Sq. Garden. Typically I hate to see shows there as the sound is usually all over the place although, ironically, the best sounding show ever was Radiohead at MSG in 2001, but I digress. I missed the Liars, not that I cared much, not a fan of their bizarre cacophony. Caught an underwhelming Cat Power set with her band, the Dirty Delta Blues band. The only dirty thing a saw was their hair but maybe I was too far away. I dunno.. Then the black clad boys joined the fray from behind a 50ft tall scrim that was supposed to come down much earlier than it did.

A friend saw something poetic in that. I thought about it some more and they were right.

I mean, their brand of Kraut influenced rock has always been delivered from behind some veil of insecurity and snotty apathy. Not to say I don't enjoy some snotty apathy, I do, but when it finally went down and we could see them better, those kids seemed to be having a good time up there. I swore I even saw Carlos crack a smile, or what would pass for one, a couple of times. There also seems to be a new love for groove and what some might call a more pedestrian sense of melody in that you find yourself humming along more than usual. I like that. Good for them. Maybe they're cheering up in their, uhh, mid to upper 20's??

Speaking of hipsters, Thurston Moore put out a solo record today. It's supposed to be good, lemme know what you think.

LAST NIGHTS WINNERS WERE:

1. THE UNHOLY FLAVORED SCHMOOS
2. CMG- New comers, nice guys!
3. THE UNHOLY FLAVORED SCHMOOS

OH, btw, whoever asked about that country rock book I'm reading, it's called 'Are You Ready For The Country' and I can't remember who the author is but I'll look around for it and let you know.

Thats all for now dear readers, stalk ya later!

No comments: