Friday, April 2, 2010

On the state of metal..

Yes, there is true metal to be had in this burg. I've seen it, I experienced it last night via here AND Chicago.

I used to be a little metal dirtbag like many in New Jersey. Growing up there was kind of like a small East coast California. There were fast cars, fast women and fast metal. Somehow, it has survived and is now somehow, all the rage. How did this ugly little genre get to be so fashionable? I know why, sort of. It's because of the hedonistic, reckless abandon it represents and the ones who are just stupid and daring enough to take advantage of it. I am certainly no better.

Last night was metal night at Fontana's and the entire night was nothing but. All metal trivia, former/present groupies (and their children!),free whiskey and pizza,and loud,heavy bands that made the Earth shake. It was heaven. The parts I remember that is. I met a lovely woman who works for a drummer fan boy magazine. I miss that the most thinking back. Getting that fresh copy of Guitar For The Practicing Musician with some crazy shredder on the cover and delving into pages of tabs of the newest and oldest songs that I could learn how to play just like the pros. Where's my guitar? Metal excites me and really, thats the whole reason to love it. It's exciting.

Best team name last night was: Motley Crucifix.

Enjoy one of New Jersey's finest exports!

No comments: